Tuscarora Feeder Canal
Tuscarora Creek was used to supplement the primary source of water for this section of the Canal, which was Dam No. 3 at Harpers Ferry. But the Canal company had another reason for using an alternate water source below Harpers Ferry – they were at odds with the B&O Railroad over the narrow right of way at Point of Rocks. If construction was halted below Harpers Ferry, the company could still use the Tuscarora to run the Canal.
When the Metropolitan branch of the B&O railroad was completed in 1873, it actually blocked the feeder, but the Canal ditch remains on the other side of the railroad tracks, and is marked by a line of trees perpendicular to the Canal.