C&O Canal Trust Contractual Opportunity
TITLE: Canal For All Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs and Partnerships
LOCATION: C&O Canal National Historical Park Headquarters, Williamsport, MD
DURATION: 6 months, approximately April to October, 2021, with flexibility
HOURS: 40 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The C&O Canal Trust seeks an enthusiastic, people-oriented leader to develop and manage daily operations of our Canal For All program. We need a candidate with a passion for working outdoors with diverse individuals, locations, and projects in frequently changing situations.
The Canal For All Program partners with disadvantaged and underrepresented communities near the Park, specifically Latinx and African-American youth, families, and civic groups, to engage them in educational, recreational, and service projects in the C&O Canal National Historical Park.
The Coordinator will be responsible for developing and implementing all Canal For All programming for six months, which may be adjusted based on funding and mutual agreement. Programs will range from a few hours to one day and may include weekdays or weekends. Activities may be centered around a guided hike or kayaking trip, art or history activity, invasive species removal, a beautification project. The majority of programs will occur in Montgomery County.
The Canal For All Coordinator reports to the Director of Programs and Partnerships, works closely with National Park Service staff, C&O Canal Trust staff and volunteers, and several community partner groups. As a growing nonprofit, the Trust requires all staff to assist with general organization-wide duties and major events. Some weekend and evening work will be required, but the work schedule is largely Monday-Friday and can be adjusted to accommodate other scheduling needs.
Responsibilities of the Canal For All Coordinator will include, but are not limited to:
Project Management and Implementation
- Develop educational, recreational, and service projects for participants ages 5 to adult, collaborating with the National Park Service, and other entities as needed.
- Create and maintain a schedule of appropriate activities for Canal For All partner groups and participants to enjoy and learn from.
- Coordinate with Trust staff, Park staff, and others to arrange program space, acquire necessary tools and supplies, transport them, and clean up again in a respectful and timely fashion.
Safety and Group Dynamics
- Exhibit strong situational awareness and recognize when participants are not doing well or need a break. Demonstrate and expect a culture of respect and teamwork, showing how participants can support each other. Facilitate debrief discussions at important moments to help strengthen participants’ self-confidence and resilience.
- Follow and enforce all policies, maintain professional boundaries, and appropriately represent the C&O Canal Trust. This includes Leave No Trace ethics, COVID safety guidelines, and refraining from the use of tobacco products, alcohol, and drugs while involved in the program.
- Complete program documentation of time sheets, reports, etc.
- Responsible for all project-related outcomes and deliverables.
- Manage budget and credit card for purchases.
- Must have a quiet, private space for teleworking from home until employees are permitted to return to the office. A laptop and related materials will be provided by the Trust.
- Must be 21+ and have a clean driving record, a current driver’s license, and a personal vehicle. Regional travel is a large part of this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree, or working toward a bachelor’s field preferred.
- Experience leading youth or young adult groups, specifically diverse and at-risk populations
- Able to facilitate discussions and lead by example, exhibiting keen cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Is a self-starter, and has ability to work well both independently and on a team
- Excellent project- and time-management skills, able to work under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, able to represent the Trust in a professional manner
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work in changing and sometimes adverse environments
- Proficient with MS Office, the Internet, cell phones, email, and online maps
- Bilingual Spanish/English beneficial
- Compensation is $14/hour, and is a limited term contractual position lasting about six months.
- No other deductions and no taxes will be taken from your paycheck. No benefits are provided for contractual positions, though training and networking opportunities are provided.
- The position will be based out of the C&O Canal Trust office in the new headquarters in Williamsport, MD, anywhere in the Park (most frequently the Montgomery and Washington County sections), and teleworking from your own home, as COVID-related safety measures require.
The C&O Canal Trust is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Director of Programs and Partnerships Heather Barnes at email@example.com by April 23, 2021, for consideration.