Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: President
Location: Williamsport, MD
Duration: Permanent beginning April 2022
Are you ready to bring your energy and skills to help preserve the largest national park in the Washington, DC, region? The C&O Canal National Historical Park (NHP) runs 184.5 miles along the Potomac River from Washington, DC, to Cumberland, Maryland. It is beloved by the nearly five million people who use it annually for recreation, exercise, and the enjoyment of history and nature. Almost entirely fee-free, it is one of the most accessible and visited national parks in the nation, attracting higher annual visitation than either Yosemite or Yellowstone.
The C&O Canal Trust (Trust), the official philanthropic partner to the C&O Canal NHP, is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications (Director) with a passion for public lands and the nonprofit sector to help build our capacity to provide increasingly robust support to the Park. We are a growing nonprofit that raises funds to preserve and protect the C&O Canal NHP and manages programs that use the Park’s natural, historical, and cultural resources for recreational and educational purposes.
The C&O Canal Trust seeks a creative, energetic, and results-oriented Director of Marketing and Communications to lead all marketing communications activities. Reporting to the President of the Trust, the Director serves as a key leadership team member who is an effective leader with a track record of success. The successful candidate will be strategic, analytical, have a strong work ethic, and the ability to excel under pressure and in a variety of settings. The position is based at C&O Canal NHP Headquarters in a new HQ adjoining the Park in Williamsport, Maryland. The Director will travel regionally for events and to meet with partners, the media, and community groups. Due to the pandemic, Trust staff are currently teleworking. When public health conditions normalize we anticipate moving into a hybrid model to allow for on-site collaboration as well as focused telework time.
Salary range of $45,000-$55,000 based on experience.
- Ability to lead and think strategically
- Creativity combined with successful project execution
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of our collaborative team
- Integrity, credibility, and discretion
The Director has primary responsibility for both the strategic direction and execution of quality, timely, and relevant marketing communications campaigns that raise awareness of and support for the mission of the Trust. The Director coordinates their efforts with the Director of Development and the Director of Programs and Partnerships to ensure fully integrated staff leadership; develops all messaging and oversees usage of the C&O Canal Trust brand; collaborates on all fundraising initiatives; promotes and markets all programs with a particular emphasis on the Canal Quarters lockhouse program; and supports the work of the Communications Committee of the Board.
The Director is responsible for all aspects of the marketing communications program: digital strategy including the website, email, and social media; writing, design, and production of print collateral; media relations; management of the C&O Canal Explorer mobile app; development and management of earned revenue opportunities; and cross-promotional partnerships with tourism and community groups. They are assisted part-time by the Communications and Development Associate. As part of a growing nonprofit, all staff are required to assist with organization-wide duties and at major events. Some weekend and evening work is required.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred.
- Five to 10 years of experience in nonprofit marketing and communications.
- Proven track record of success in advertising, print and digital collateral, and media relations.
- Experience writing for print and web.
- Experience with graphic design programs like InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience working with the media, pitching stories, and serving as the organization’s spokesperson.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who productively engages with others within and outside the Trust.
- A professional and resourceful style; shows initiative, and can manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience using website content management systems like WordPress and email systems like Constant Contact.
- Experience managing multiple active social media channels.
- Experience with tracking and analysis of marketing campaigns.
- Knowledge of eTapestry or a similar constituent relationship management system.
The C&O Canal Trust offers a competitive benefits package including: 100 percent employer paid health insurance premiums; vacation, sick and personal leave; 14 paid holidays; the C&O Canal Trust’s Simple IRA retirement program (up to 3 percent employer matched); committed colleagues; and a surprising number of sunny days in the Park! We offer a fun and casual work environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The C&O Canal Trust is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until March 4, 2022.