- Marketing and Communications Intern: January-May 2018
- Volunteer Engagement and Outreach Intern: March-May 2018
Marketing and Communications Intern: Spring 2018
The C&O Canal Trust seeks a dynamic self-starter for a part-time marketing and communications internship to work directly with the Director of Marketing & Communications. This position will focus heavily on creative writing for the web, community outreach, and social media strategy.
We aim to provide college students with valuable mentorship and hands-on experience, bridging the gap between the classroom and the workplace. Interns play an integral part in the operation of the Trust and will gain insight into the world of nonprofit administration, marketing, communications, fundraising, and the National Park Service.
Dates of Internship: Flexible, January-May 2018
Hours: 10 hours/week, flexible. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Location: Hagerstown, MD
- Develop ideas and write engaging content for our “Explore Your Canal” blog
- Promote posts via social media, track performance of posts, make recommendations of other blog topics that would be popular based on performance statistics
- Write and curate content for social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Compile a list of travel and local bloggers for outreach, develop schedule of guest bloggers
- Assist with management of C&O Canal Explorer mobile app, including reaching out to potential advertisers
- Assist in keeping website up-to-date
- Assist in marketing of Canal Pride and Canal Quarters programs
- Assist in Park After Dark fundraiser planning and execution
- Update and expand list of media contacts, develop information for media
- Assist in creation of photography repository
Skills Required: Attention to detail, strong written and oral communication skills, a commitment to producing high-quality work, and personal integrity.
Other Requirements: Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently. Must pass a criminal background check. Must have a valid driving license, and a personal vehicle.
Salary/Benefits: A stipend of $2,000 will be paid, and we are willing to work with your university for course credit.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Director of Marketing & Communications Heidi Schlag (Schlag@canaltrust.org) with the name of the position in the subject line. Applications due by Monday, January 1, 2018.
Volunteer Engagement and Outreach Intern
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs and Partnerships
LOCATION: C&O Canal National Historical Park Headquarters, Hagerstown, MD
DURATION: March 1, 2017 – May 31, 2017 (3 month term)
HOURS: 40 hours/week, including attendance at Saturday events in April-May.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The C&O Canal Trust team is searching for an intern to assist with our Spring volunteer events aimed at preserving and beautifying the C&O Canal National Historical Park. The internship’s focus will be 1) planning and leading Canal Pride volunteer events, and 2) increasing the demographic scope of our programming through targeted community outreach.
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working in partnership with National Park Service staff to plan volunteer events (trash cleanups, campground improvements, tree plantings).
- Researching and developing a database of groups to participate in volunteer events.
- Distributing outreach materials in communities along the Park’s borders.
- Recruiting volunteers, both individuals and groups, from local educational, social, and recreational organizations.
- Managing volunteer inquiries and registrations.
- Coordinating refreshments, registration, supplies, and other logistics for events.
- Assisting in the execution of events, including coordinating supplies, event set-up, and leadership of volunteer groups in beautification and restoration projects.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree OR currently enrolled in a two or four year degree program
- Proven leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to excel at details, multi-tasking, and working under deadlines
- Outgoing self-starter, but collaborates well in a team environment; Customer-service approach
- Must have experience in the use of software programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience with volunteer organizing, customer service, or event coordination preferred
- As this position involves extensive local travel to and from events, a personal vehicle is required
- Availability to attend weekend events in April/May is mandatory
- Must genuinely enjoy working with people!
- A sense of humor and positive outlook
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Individuals interning with the Trust will have unique opportunities to further develop their professional skills, including:
- Gaining valuable work experience in the nonprofit sector and with National Park Service
- Networking with local business owners and community groups
Interested parties should submit an application, including a cover letter and resume, to Becky Curtis at email@example.com. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.