Named for the Tuscarora Indians who once made their home here, this creek is the same one that fed the canal through the Tuscarora feeder upstream before being blocked by the railroad in 1873. In 1829, cement found in this area inspired two gentlemen to build five lime kilns that helped supplement Boteler’s Shepherdstown mills’ output for the Monocacy Aqueduct construction. It wasn’t too long before the Tuscarora Creek cement was deemed defective, however, and the lime kilns eventually closed.
Add to Itinerary
Photo by: PATC GPS Rangers