Boteler’s Mill/Potomac Mill
Dating back to 1826, Boteler's Mill, also known as Potomac Mill, is on the shore of the Potomac River in eastern Jefferson County, West Virginia, half a mile below Shepherdstown.
Named after Dr. Henry Boteler, the mill was one of a handful that produced hydraulic cement for the construction of the C&O Canal. Boteler offered cement at a much lower rate than competitors because of his proximity to the Canal.
In 1861, the mill was burned by Federal troops during the Civil War and was rebuilt in 1867. In operation until 1900, it eventually closed by 1916. Boteler’s Mill dam provided water to the mill and assisted ferries crossing from Maryland to Virginia by adding to the depth of the river. Today it is a popular fishing area, and the water is usually shallow enough to allow for wading to take a closer look at the mill.