The Conococheague aqueduct is a three arch, 210-foot aqueduct and the first on the Canal that was built in a sizable town, though it was fifth of eleven aqueducts on the Canal. Completed in September 1834 but unusable until April 1835, the aqueduct was a little lavish – with a few embellishments and stone brought from High Rock Quarry.
In 1861, Union troops destroyed the Conococheague Aqueduct to prevent Confederates from escaping through Williamsport after the battle of Antietam. Luckily, the solid construction of the canal works emerged intact. But in 1863, Confederates succeeded in destroying the aqueduct, though it was rebuilt within the month. The berm wall collapsed several more times, though the most famous came when Frank Myers' Boat No. 73 hit the wall of the aqueduct, and instead of repairing it, the Canal company rebuilt it with wood.
Photo by: John Gensor