Lockhouse 21, locally known as “Swains” after the family who lived there for over a century, is the newest lockhouse to join the Canal Quarters program. Opened in July 2019, this lockhouse has been completely modernized and is ADA-accessible with a bathroom and Murphy bed on the first floor, ramps into the house, and hallways wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.
The house interprets 1916, the year the National Park Service was formed and the date when the C&O Canal was beginning to transition from a working canal to a recreational space. Unique period furnishings transport visitors to the early twentieth century, and scrapbooks tell stories of a time when Woodrow Wilson was President, the United States had not yet entered World War I, and the women’s and civil rights movements were gathering steam.
Lockhouse 21 features accessible parking, accessible ramps to the front door and within the first floor of the building (upon request during booking), accessible bathroom, kitchen, and picnic area facilities, and single-sized Murphy bed located on the first floor. The second floor is only accessible via stairs.
Features & Amenities
- 1910s kitchen with stove, oven and refrigerator
- 1910s bathroom with tub/shower
- One bedroom with full sized bed and a trundle; One bedroom with 2 twins and 2 trundles; and an ADA-accessible Murphy bed on first floor
- Central AC/heat
- Fire Ring
- Easy access to the Capital Beltway
- Linens and pillows not provided
- Fireplaces are NOT functional
10700 Swains Lock Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
Click here for directions and a map.