Tonoloway Aqueduct


Constructed between 1835 and 1839 of limestone extracted upstream on Tonoloway Creek, Tonoloway Aqueduct carried canal boats across Tonoloway Creek, a 31-mile tributary of the Potomac River. Cement for the aqueduct came from Captain Hook’s mill but during a water shortage in the summer of 1837, cement was imported from Boteler’s Mill and Baltimore. Having trouble pronouncing Tonoloway? In the 1700s, surveyors often recorded the creek’s name as “Conoloway.”

Mile Marker: 123.0


Photo by: Juli Haulman

Nearby Amenities: