The C&O Canal Quarters Program is seeking new Quartermasters for Lockhouses 6, 10, 21, 22, 25, 28 and 49!
The ideal Quartermaster is someone who lives near the lockhouse, who passes by (or could pass by) frequently, who has good home maintenance and repair skills, is able to lift up to 40 pounds, is familiar with NPS procedures, and who would enjoy the responsibility, authority, and status (as an NPS volunteer) that the role of Quartermaster entails. The Quartermaster’s primary responsibility is to maintain oversight of the lockhouse through frequent on-site inspections and frequent communication with the Trust about issues that arise.
Specifically, the Quartermaster will be expected to do the following:
- Respond to urgent on-site visitor concerns (e.g. keys that do not open the door or inclement weather).
- Periodically inspect lockhouse premises, a minimum of twice weekly, preferably on Fridays and Mondays. The Quartermaster will check status of interpretive media, utilities, furnishings, and supplies. Restock or rectify, as needed. Report issues to the Trust.
- Make small repairs within their capacities, as needed. (Cost of supplies would be covered by the Trust.)
- Arrange for professional contractors identified by the Trust to make repairs beyond Quartermaster’s personal capacity.
- Maintain the yard (mowing, string trimming), clean signs, and repaint picnic table as needed. Remove and dispose of ashes from ash pits as necessary.
- Monitor for routine rodent and pest issues.
- Notify the Trust or NPS if there is evidence of non-compliance with NPS or Trust lockhouse user regulations and policies.
- Quartermasters will be expected to have a backup or assistant with whom they will coordinate schedules so one of them will be available during periods when visitors have reserved the lockhouse.
- Submit inspection and maintenance reports to the Trust on a monthly basis using the Trust’s standard inspection and reporting format.
- Participate in semi-annual or annual lockhouse inspection visits with Trust and NPS personnel.
- Coordinate and participate in semi-annual or annual volunteer maintenance work projects.
If you are interested in applying to serve as a Quartermaster, please send an email or letter expressing your interest and qualifications to:
C&O Canal Trust
1850 Dual Highway, Suite 100
Hagerstown, MD 21740