One of the places you and your family can practice safe social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic is at the C&O Canal National Historical Park! Although all visitor centers are closed, there are 20,000 acres and 184.5 miles of towpath for you to explore. Be sure to visit the C&O Canal’s website to check for any closings before you set out.
1. Take this scavenger hunt with you on your next park visit. If you are under 18, be sure you have a parent’s or guardian’s permission first.
2. Take a photo of each item you find.
3. Post your scavenger hunt photos to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, tag the C&O Canal Trust, and use the hashtag #canalscavengerhunt.
4. Want to receive a free sticker for participating? Click here to receive your C&O Canal sticker as your prize!
LEAVE NO TRACE
Remember! When you are in our National Parks, it is important that you Leave No Trace! This means:
1. Take all of your trash home with you — do not litter.
2. Leave what you find in the Park for others to find.
3. Respect wildlife. Just look, don’t touch or take anything. Don’t get close to wild animals.
4. Be considerate to other visitors. Don’t be noisy or rude. Keep your dogs on a leash. And remember to practice safe social distancing.
FINISHED A HUNT?
- Post your photos to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, tag the C&O Canal Trust, and use the hashtag #canalscavengerhunt! (We are C&O Canal Trust on Facebook, and @canaltrust on Twitter and Instagram.)
- Click here to receive your C&O Canal sticker as your prize!
Love the Canal? Give to the Trust!
The C&O Canal Trust raises money to support the preservation and beautification of the C&O Canal National Historical Park, and we need your help! The Park hosts over 5 million visitors each year, and most entry points are free. If you love to visit the C&O Canal, make a gift to help us preserve it!