Town Creek Aqueduct
Town Creek Aqueduct is a single-span aqueduct. Construction began in 1837 and was abandoned in 1838 when the contractor quit during the Canal company’s financial crisis. It was completed during the final phase of C&O Canal construction (1848-1850) by Michael Byrne. It is the tenth of eleven aqueducts on the Canal and, like many of the other eleven, is missing its upstream wall. The aqueduct is made of mostly “bastard limestone” quarried at the mouth of the South Branch of the Potomac and sandstone and stone from other quarries. Today, it is a popular fishing site.
Photo by: PATC GPS Rangers