The Hancock Tollhouse is one of the last of its kind. It sits on both the National Road – which runs from Cumberland to Wheeling, WV – and the Bank Road – which runs from Baltimore to Cumberland. Built around 1820, it served as a residence for the toll keeper, who manned a gate, raising and lowering it while collecting a fee. There were different fees for different types of vehicles and livestock. Both the Bank and National Road were privately owned at the time, and tolls were a source of income.
Open a few times a year and by appointment, the house has been furnished in typical 1800s furnishings. The Tollhouse is operated by the Hancock Historical Society and is currently closed for renovations.
Photo by: PATC GPS Rangers