A short hike into history starts at the Spring Gap boat launch heading west along the towpath. At Mile 173.5, just west of the boat launch, stands the impressive stone abutment that once held the Patterson Creek Bridge. An earlier river ford here was used in 1748 when George Washington crossed the Potomac at this location. In 1850, a large highway bridge was built to carry traffic over the C & O Canal. The bridge was destroyed in 1864 during the Civil War by General Jubal Early.
Photo Credit: C&O Canal National Historical Park