This historical monument is located at the source for the Potomac River, the origin of the North Branch. The original stone was placed on October 23, 1746, to settle a boundary dispute between Thomas Fairfax, and the English Privy Council concerning the Northern Neck of Virginia. The present Fairfax Stone is at least the second replica to be placed on the site; it was dedicated on October 5, 1957. It is located in West Virginia, 2 miles off US 219, 4 miles north of Thomas, West Virginia.
Photo Credit: Mike Roetto