fbpx Skip to main content

< Go Back

Doubleday Hill

Doubleday Hill is located at the northwestern end of the Riverview Cemetery and directly above the C&O Canal at Milepost 99.5. From this location Captain Abner Doubleday mounted artillery in 1861 to protect the canal and the town of Williamsport from bombardment by Confederate General Stonewall Jackson and his forces across the Potomac River . A climb to this perch is rewarded with a birds-eye view of the town of Williamsport to the East and into West Virginia to the West.

Milepost 99.5

Official Website

Doubleday Hill
Photo Credit: Eddie French