As the official nonprofit partner of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park, the C&O Canal Trust is your connection for hands-on restoration, preservation, and conservation.
You can help the C&O Canal reach its vast potential as an educational, recreational, historic, environmental, and scenic resource by volunteering in the many programs administered by the Trust.
- Canal Pride Days. Canal Pride Days are volunteer project days throughout the year that tackle the backlog of conservation and maintenance projects such as painting, raking, and the removal of trash and overgrown vegetation. Our Canal Pride kickoff season is held each spring at various locations throughout the park. Recruitment for the spring season begins in February, but we welcome you to join us in projects year-round.
- Corporate Events: The Trust offers an array of volunteer projects for corporate groups along the Canal to suit most all locations and skill levels.
- Fundraising Events: The Trust has its annual Park after Dark benefit event in the fall and often has smaller special events throughout the year. Volunteers are needed for welcoming and directing guests, setting up and decorating, cleaning up, assisting with food service, staffing information tables, and more.
- Volunteer Project Leader Corps: Think you work best as a group leader? Assist in large scale projects by leading teams of volunteers alongside Trust and Park staff.
- Quartermasters. The Canal Quarters program engages volunteer Quartermasters who maintain, promote, and protect the historic lockhouses now available for guest overnight visits.
- Cultural Resources Volunteers: Help scan historic photos and slides, or document and transcribe oral histories.
- Grant Writers: Do you have a background in writing grants? Help the C&O Canal by assisting us with grant proposals and reports for the Park's Education Program and other initiatives.
We also work with the C&O Canal NHP to identify specific needs and provide volunteers in various capacities from working in the visitor centers to manning the canal boat.
With your help, the Trust will continue to protect, restore, and promote the incomparable C&O Canal NHP for current and future generations to enjoy.
For more information on any of the above programs, contact Becky Curtis, at 301-745-8889 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Services Agreement
Media Release Form