About the Trust
Founded in 2007, the C&O Canal Trust is the official nonprofit partner of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park. Its mission is to work in partnership with the National Park Service to protect, restore, and promote the C&O Canal. The Trust engages communities and individuals to realize the Park’s historical, natural, and recreational potential.
The C&O Canal Trust believes that bold thinking and fresh ideas are needed if the canal is going to meet the challenges of the 21st century. Given the unique characteristics of the park, the Trust will achieve its mission by aggressively pursuing the following goals:
- Reestablishing and preserving the continuity of the towpath;
- Creating locally-appropriate destinations throughout the park by:
- Rehabilitating historic structures, including locks
- Re-watering select sections of the canal
- Providing and accommodating passenger boat access
- Expanding recreational access and amenities
- Developing and delivering high quality educational, interpretive, and volunteer programs;
- Restoring the ecological health of the park; and
- Building a broad constituency to be a voice for the park for years to come.