When the federal government purchased the abandoned C&O Canal in the 1930s, it was flood ravaged and suffering from neglect. In response to the onset of the Great Depression, the Roosevelt Administration established two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps near Carderock, Maryland, just two miles upstream from Lockhouse 10. These camps, which housed African-Americans exclusively, provided work, education, and training for hundreds of unemployed youth. Over the course of 4 years, their labor, along with workers from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and the National Park Service (NPS) helped transform the C&O Canal into a resource worthy of protection and preservation. Their work set the stage for Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas and later generations of conservationists to advocate successfully for the national park which now exists.
Lockhouse 10, which was built in 1830 and originally remodeled by NPS crews in the twentieth century, has been furnished to evoke the 1930s, including its period kitchen and bathroom. It is located on the Clara Barton Parkway inside the Capital Beltway and offers proximity to numerous attractions in the Washington, DC area. Its forested environs are popular with outdoor enthusiasts including birders, hikers, bikers, runners, fishermen and canoers.
Features & Amenities
- 1930s kitchen with stove, oven and refrigerator
- 1930s bathroom with tub/shower
- Private screened porch
- One bedroom with double bed and trundle with two cots available in closet, one bedroom with three twins
- Central AC/heat
- Fire Ring
- Easy access to the Capital Beltway
- Linens and pillows not provided
- Fireplaces are NOT functional
Cabin John, MD 20818
Click here for directions and a map.