Marketing and Communications Intern
Put your marketing, writing, and online outreach skills to work on behalf of one of the nation’s premier national parks, the C&O Canal National Historical Park. Gain experience working with a growing non-profit organization and the National Park Service.
Position Title: Marketing and Communications Intern
Dates of Internship: Flexible, Summer 2015
Hours: 20 hours/week, flexible. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Location: Hagerstown, MD
- Write press releases, website content, text for print collateral
- Compile a list of travel and local bloggers for press outreach
- Update and expand list of media contacts
- Develop and assemble media packets
- Monitor and track media
- Assist in keeping website up-to-date
- Assist in planning for Park After Dark fundraiser
- Assist in development and testing of Plan Your Visit website feature
- Promote the programs of the Trust at Trust and Park events
- Identify and pursue new ways to promote Canal Discoveries and other programs
- Assist in marketing Canal Quarters program
- Assist in data entry and other office tasks
- Other duties as assigned
Skills Required: Attention to detail, strong written and oral communication skills, a commitment to producing high-quality work, and personal integrity.
Other Requirements: Must be enrolled at a two or four-year degree
program in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field.
Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently. Must pass a
criminal background check. Must have a valid driving license, a personal
vehicle, and be willing to drive to points all across the length of the Park.
Salary/Benefits: This position offers a stipend of $2,500 for the summer.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume, references, and a 1-2 page writing sample to Director of Communications Heidi Glatfelter (Glatfelter@canaltrust.org) with the name of the position in the subject line. Applications due by Friday, April 24, 2015.