The C&O Canal Trust, the official nonprofit partner of the C&O Canal National Historical Park, does not currently have any open positions for employment. As we continue to grow as an organization, new positions and opportunities may arise. Please continue to check back with us or feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Put your media relations and marketing skills to work for one of American’s premier national parks. Gain experience in working with a growing nonprofit organization and the National Park Service. Apply your project management and analysis skills in this paid internship opportunity.
Position Title: Marketing and Communications Intern
Dates of Internship: Flexible; Spring-Fall 2013
Hours: Flexible; 250 to 300 minimum; general hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Duties: The position involves working with the Director of Communications & Business Operations in helping to market the Trust's award-winning Canal Quarters Program as well as assisting on other marketing matters as needed.
General Marketing and Communications
- Develop a calendar and plan for targeted media pitches and draft content
- Analyze Canal Quarters guest demographics and make marketing recommendations
- Develop elevator speeches, case statements, fact sheets, and talking points for programs
- Update and expand list of media contacts
- Promote Trust events via third party calendars, both in print and online
- Identify and pursue prime real estate for Trust links on third party websites
- Collaborate in the development, implementation, and analysis of Google Campaigns/AdWords
- Review website and make suggested edits for ongoing search engine optimization
- Assist in laying the groundwork for the content, design, and marketing of a Plan Your Visit site
- Make Canal Towns brochures and Park map available as PDFs online
- Write copy for blogs, newsletters, and press pitches
- Distribute and track organizational brochure and program rack cards
- Assist in the design of program rack cards and other print collateral
- Develop Facebook Ad campaign language and timeline
- Post photos of events online and encourage participants to tag and share
- Draft an arsenal of social media pushes for all programs and post
- Analyze results of social media pushes and make recommendations
Skills Required: Attention to detail, strong written and oral communication skills, a commitment to producing high-quality work, and personal integrity. Experience in Adobe InDesign is preferred.
Other Requirements: Must have completed at least two years of an undergraduate degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field. Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently. Must pass a criminal background check.
Salary/Benefits: $2,500 stipend
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to Jenna Warrenfeltz at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the position in the subject line by May 19, 2013.