C&O Canal Trust Internship Opportunity
TITLE: Canal Pride Outreach Intern
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs and Partnerships
LOCATION: C&O Canal National Historical Park Headquarters, Hagerstown, MD
DURATION: March 1, 2017 – May 31, 2017 (3 month term)
HOURS: 40 hours/week, as well as attendance during weekend events in April-May.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The C&O Canal Trust is searching for an intern to assist with Canal Pride volunteer events aimed at preserving and beautifying the C&O Canal National Historical Park. The intern will focus helping to increase the demographic scope of our programming through targeted community outreach, planning and leading Canal Pride volunteer events, and assisting with the development of Spanish communications materials for a variety of Trust activities. Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Researching and developing a database of special interest and diverse groups to participate in Canal Pride events
• Assisting with program outreach, promotion, and recruitment to Canal Pride events
• Working with the Communications team to develop Spanish language brochures
• Distributing outreach materials across the length of park
• Recruiting volunteers, both individuals and groups, from local educational, social, and recreational organizations
• Coordinating refreshments, registration, and other logistics for events
• Assisting in the execution of events, including packing supplies, event set-up, and leadership of small volunteer groups
• Bachelor’s degree or currently pursuing a college degree in a related field
• Leadership and organizational skills
• Customer-service approach to all professional relationships
• Excellent communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to excel at details, multi-tasking, and working under deadlines
• Outgoing self-starter, but collaborates well in a team environment
• Must have experience in the use of software programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Previous experience with volunteer organizing, customer service, or event coordination preferred
• As this position involves extensive local travel to and from events, a personal vehicle is required
• Availability to attend weekend events in April/May is mandatory
• A sense of humor and positive outlook
• Spanish fluency preferred, but not required
Individuals interning with the Trust will have unique opportunities to further develop their professional skills, including:
• Gaining valuable work experience in the nonprofit industry and partnering with government agencies
• Networking with local business owners and community groups
• $10/hr, up to 525 hours.
Interested parties should submit an application, including a cover letter and resume, to Becky Curtis at email@example.com.