Marketing and Communications Intern: Fall 2017
The C&O Canal Trust seeks a dynamic self-starter for a part-time marketing and communications internship to work directly with the Director of Marketing & Communications. This position will focus heavily on web content development, community outreach, and social media strategy.
We aim to provide college students with valuable mentorship and hands-on experience, bridging the gap between the classroom and the workplace. Interns play an integral part in the operation of the Trust and will gain insight into the world of nonprofit administration, marketing, communications, fundraising, and the National Park Service.
Dates of Internship: Flexible, September-December 2017
Hours: 10 hours/week, flexible. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Location: Hagerstown, MD
- Develop ideas and write engaging content for our “Explore Your Canal” blog
- Promote posts via social media, track performance of posts, make recommendations of other blog topics that would be popular based on performance statistics
- Write and curate content for social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Compile a list of travel and local bloggers for outreach, develop schedule of guest bloggers
- Assist with management of C&O Canal Explorer mobile app, including reaching out to potential advertisers
- Assist in keeping website up-to-date
- Assist in marketing Canal Quarters program
- Assist in Park After Dark fundraiser planning and execution
- Update and expand list of media contacts, develop information for media
Skills Required: Attention to detail, strong written and oral communication skills, a commitment to producing high-quality work, and personal integrity.
Other Requirements: Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently. Must pass a criminal background check. Must have a valid driving license, and a personal vehicle.
Salary/Benefits: This is an unpaid internship, however we are willing to work with your university for course credit.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Director of Marketing & Communications Heidi Schlag (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the name of the position in the subject line. Applications due by Friday, July 28, 2017.