< Go Back

Lockhouse 49

  • 0
  • July 21, 2014

This is one of only 26 lock houses remaining on the canal. The C&O Canal telephone system built in 1879 was one of the first phone systems in Maryland containing 46 telephones one of which was located inside the lockhouse. Lockhouse 49 can be rented for the night as part of the Canal Quarters program

Milepost 109

Official Website

Lockhouse 49
Photo Credit: C&O Canal National Historical Park