Harpers Ferry Road
John Brown’s raid on the federal armory at Harpers Ferry started from a rented farmhouse in the hills about three miles from town. On that fateful night in 1859, Brown and his men followed Harpers Ferry Road down to the Canal and across the Potomac.
Harpers Ferry Road exists today, as it parallels the Canal at mile 61 before climbing into the hills toward Sharpsburg. The farmhouse on Chestnut Grove Road, where Brown planned his raid, is open to the public.
Photo by: Bud and Dell Cline